Wednesday 19 November 2014

Realistic chess piece drawing

This drawing was created to capture realism, movement, rhythm, and contrast.

Compared to the realistic drawings that you can see any time on google images, this one is not too special. I do believe that people will understand that this is a chess piece especially with the chess board helping out there. However I do not think that people will understand that there is a sword under the piece because it's pretty arbatrarry.

The movement aspect of this drawing is created because the tilt on the chess piece that makes it seem that the piece is going to fall, or being lifted from the board. Since the chess piece is the vocal point on this image, the eye will move down/right following the sword and then see the cartoon holding up the realistic drawing and examine the other cartoons.

In the rhythm category, I believe it's lacking, because other than the alternating black and white rectangles, I can't see any pattern that relates to rhythm.

Contrast is something that I think is very well because I was drawing what I saw instead of what I think is there. The shading started with the chess piece then I used relatively the same area of shading for everything around it, then I put in the darkest darks I could get and worked my way downward. When I was taking the picture, I made sure to use enough lighting so it could be seen well, and not too much so that it wouldn't cause glare.

No comments:

Post a Comment